The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) Early Warning Team (EWT) seeks a Deputy Country Representative (DCR) to be based in N’Djamena, Chad. FEWS NET is an integrated set of activities funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and is intended to provide timely, accurate, evidence-based, and transparent food security early warning information and analysis.
Chemonics International (Chemonics) implements the FEWS NET EWT, a team charged with integrated emergency food insecurity analysis through a Washington-based technical office and more than 20 field offices.
The FEWS NET EWT maintains offices in a number of countries in Africa, Central America, Central Asia, and the Caribbean. The Chad DCR will work closely with the Chad Country Representative (CR) to provide quality control for the deliverables of the project and undertake activities in the project office which include but are not limited to:
- Technical activities including efficient, focused food security monitoring, data collection, assessment, and early warning analysis;
- Partnership, representation and network development including close collaboration with key partners, such as host government ministries, UN agencies, and international and local NGOs, among others; and
- Project administration and management at the field office level.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Proficiency in written and spoken French and English is required; local language skills relevant to the region are desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET, such as economics, agricultural economics, agronomy, nutrition, climatology, anthropology, or social geography is required; advanced university degree (Master’s degree or higher) is desirable.
- At least two years of relevant experience (with PhD), four years of relevant experience (with Master’s degree), or six years of relevant experience (with Bachelor’s degree) is required. Relevant experience includes working on food security information systems, food security analysis, early warning, or other related fields; experience working with UN agencies and/or NGOs is desirable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required, including demonstrated ability to coordinate productively with diverse partner stakeholders (e.g., UN, non-governmental organizations, host government entities) and multidisciplinary, multicultural teams, and to work effectively with remote-based colleagues.
The Chad DCR position will remain open for applications through January 10th, 2021. A full scope of work for this position and application information can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies.
All application materials, including responses to the general information form, CVs, and cover letters, should be provided in English. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.